Friday, February 7, 2014

Oops...I did it again....

It happens to all of us at some point.  Some of the animals that we come in contact with speak to us differently.  They pull at our heart strings harder and more persistent than others.  And even though we don't need another dog, cat or horse to take care of, we make room.  We make room in our homes, barns and wallets.  After all, what's one more, right?
Well, it happened to me last week.  So this past Tuesday, Strut went home with me.  Just for a little while. This is a "foster situation".  At least that's what I tell myself.
 Some of you may remember Strut.  He was removed from horrid living conditions which resulted in the death of his pasture mate.  Strut is also very thin but in good spirits . I will feed and care for him. I will get his feet trimmed.  He will be groomed and loved and eventually evaluated under saddle. I will post updates about his progress on this blog.
Fostering is not for the faint of heart.  In order to make the animal more adoptable, we spent more time with it, which leads to greater attachment which makes it harder to let the animal go when the time for permanent adoption rolls around.  But fostering is also very rewarding.  Seeing the animal restored to health and happiness and in a loving home is a great joy.  But sometimes we can't let go.  We lovingly refer to that situation as a "failed foster" which equals a successful adoption.  Either way, the horse wins.



Stayed tuned to Strut's progress in "As the Barn turns"........

No comments:

Post a Comment